In no particular order or preference, here are some of my memories of the year we just survived.
*Electrelane made the most beautiful song of the year.
* I went to Northampton, England, Steve's hometown to meet relatives. In the 10 days we were there, I never did adjust to the time difference and went home to the hotel every day at 4 p.m., when it was pitch black.
* Steve made his first music video, coinciding with my first stroll along the pebbly shores of Brighton, in the stinging cold mist as the sun set around 3 p.m.
* I had a lot of me time while Steve was out of the country, working at locations on five of the seven continents.
* I celebrated my first wedding anniversary with Mr. Sweetypants and forgot to purchase the single rose I was beholden to give him per our rose ceremony.
* I won an Addy.
* I fought the law and the law won.
* I followed the misguided antics of an online dater who blew my experiences with big losers in my online dating past out of the water, and I worked up the nerve to post Gawker comments.
* Steve and I ripped off the Jesus and Mary Chain in his home recording studio.
* I became a founding member of the Tuesday Night Board Meeting, which makes my week happy.
* I went to Vegas for the first time, then to Pahrump, Nevada, to meet more of Steve's family. Never did acclimatize to the outdoor temperature of 117 F, but I did go to my first brothel.
* Miss Eudora Thunderkiss barely survived anaphylactic shock after getting a distemper shot, but we found a great house-call vet so she never has to have one again.
* I had my dream vacation with my Megafun kids.
*I love this baby.
* I went to my 20-year high school reunion with Steve and April.
* My mama found an alligator in her backyard.
* I still get misty when I think about Freddy Mercury.
* Thaddy Mack/Kristel, Pookie/Tosh, and Roisin/Locke all got married. Buttercup got engaged.
* I got to see my beloved Wolfpack from floor seats then tape Coach Lowe for a work project.
* I got really mad and focused my energy on stopping really bad people.
* Walruses really like buckets.
* I got to sit and listen to Elvis Costello sing "Shipbuilding."
* I got a lot of flack for not having a baby.
* I came to peace with the corporate world.
* I coaxed my parents a few steps forward into the world of Internet commerce.
* I sent a guy to jail.
* I won two out of two games of bingo at the state fair and got a major prize.
* I started a silly blog called "That Girl From Shallotte."
Please leave comments and tell me about your year!
Look forward to reading your comments! Have a wonderful new year filled with silliness and laughter. I'll do my best to help provide it for you.
Love,
Leigh Ann
HAIKU
3 weeks ago

6 comments:
Shallotte's book & music shop enjoys your blog: www.Aziomedia.com
What a year! That is awesome. You won an Addy? I am so jealous! I loved the ad copy; so creative!
And here are my random recollections of the year. Using the same reference points:
*New year - In a hotel LA described as "like Durham". I hung out in the bathroom so I could read while she slept through the chavs upstairs staging an apparent furniture throwing contest.
*Brighton - who can forget the wind stinging their face as you stroll along the derelict seafront, digesting our $20 scallops. Tourists ;-)
*First anniversary - There are now two rose bushes in the garden.
*The Addy - I was in Kuwait/Saudi Arabia/Bahrain, and so missed the whole affair! However, I did get to walk around in the middle east, which is a great time. If you like having seperate lines for men and women in McDonalds. And by lines I mean doors.
The Hotels in Saudi all had machine gun posts in the parking lots. The call to prayer is spooky - I just didn't know what to do when they all ambled off to prayer. Incidentally, I noted a spot of larceny is common during prayer times. And all the shop windows had steel shutters. 100 octane gas was cheaper there than water.
Bahrain was altogether more fun. I stayed at a hotel in the red light district, which seemed entirely poplulated with Philipino heavy metal guitarists, Thai hookers and diplomats. I witnessed an exchange between an Indian hotel receptionist and an Egyptian diplomat that ended with the Egyptian launching himself over the desk screaming "I am a diplomat" at the hapless service industry worker. Irony is not big in the middle east. The bar in the hotel was marginally less intimidating that the one in Star Wars. I liked it there very much.
After that it was all a bit of a blur, with giant bugs in the shower in Trinidad, unscheduled encounters with large marsupials in Australia, and working in spacesuits in, erm, Iowa.
I hope next year is as good to me as this one was.
Just started my new year off right by spending a few minutes perusing your blog. Smiles all around, dear friend.
A few random reactions: Re the Egyptian diplomat hurling himself across the hotel counter at the hapless clerk: This is NOT specific to Middle Easterners. Early in our diplomatic career Bill and I were mortified by our "friend" and fellow traveler (an American) who did the same thing at a hotel in Petra, throwing a hissy fit and shouting the very same mantra, "I am a diplomat." Don't remember what he was upset about, but I do recall that we never traveled with him again.
Re the Addy. Please add Minnesotans to your list of those for whom hockey is a living, breathing sport! And, congratulations, oh witty one!
Post a Comment