Monday, January 21, 2008

Boogie on, reggae woman

So my mama and my aunt are currently cruising the tropics. One of their stops is in Jamaica, and Steve and I have been postulating wildly on what these two tee-totalling, Southern, Christian ladies are up to down there, and what they'll be like when they get back.

We figure my aunt will come stumbling off the boat reeking of Red Stripe and calling everybody "mon." She'll be wearing a tie-dyed Bob Marley tee and sporting a head full of beaded braids like every frat/sorority kid who's ever been there.

My mama will have had a more spiritual experience. She'll have wrapped her hair in a green, yellow and black headdress and will have adopted a militant, if red-eyed, stance. First thing, she'll call my sister Jill, and instead of begging her to cut her dreadlocks, will ask how to best maintain them. She'll read Haile Selassie's autobiography and get in trouble at the Methodist church for saying "Jah" instead of the other word. She'll start using the pronoun "I" twice and will sign off her e-mails "One Love." Then, she'll focus her energy on the legalization of marijuana movement (with the full support of Willie Nelson) and will start calling the police "babylon."

Next time we go to Shallotte, we'll have jerk chicken and plaintains for dinner with the delightful tones of Peter Tosh's "Legalize It" on the stereo, followed by foot-long spliff of ganga, Scooby snacks and a long nap. Steve and I will come back to Raleigh, get drug tested and lose our jobs. We'll protest, saying my mother forced it on us as part of her religion, but HR will turn us down. Then my mother, the rasta activist, will raise a big stink in the press and our companies will give us our jobs back, but we'll be pariahs.

Why, oh why, couldn't they have cruised Alaska again?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least they didn't travel to the Mideast and come back in burkas...

Anonymous said...

It's a message from Jah. Finally a religion I can deal with ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'd give anything to see your mama in dreads.

Sarah said...

Tee hee. Great post. And picturing elderly women like that totally made my morning ... ha.

Cara said...

Can my dad go with them next time?? He really needs to loosen up. I am going to laugh at this all day. Also, thank you for the sage wisdom that you left for me. You're so right. I think all writers at one point or another have to whore themselves out to pay the bills. What we get to do with our free time is what keeps us going. Thanks, Leigh Ann! You pretty much rock.
Cara

Anonymous said...

Me only have one ambition y'know, one ting I like to see happen...Two upstanding southern ladies stoked.
Yo havta get this published mon!

Anonymous said...

You KILL me mon.

Anonymous said...

I printed this out for my OCD husband to read. Believe it or not he is computerly challenged, he can't even scroll!
After reading the blog, veeeeeery slowly, stopping to ask me ?'s...What is Rah? OCDers are like that. We then get into a conversation about cruises.
Me....I'd like to take a cruise to Alaska.
Him...No you wouldn't, you hate cold weather, besides if the ship went down you would freeze to death!
Me...No I wouldn't! I can swim long enough for someone to save me. You'd drown, you can't swim!
Him...Maybe someone on board would like me enough to give me a life jacket.
Me...NO they would not! Remember that they have been shipbound with you for a week!
L.A Thank you for evoking such a wonderful conversation ;-)

Anonymous said...

I loved this bit of imaginary fluff. I saw your mom and aunt in Minnesota a few years ago after they had attended a DAR convention (if memory serves, which it often doesn't). I am now picturing them in their ball gowns with dreads and the headdress. Priceless, as they say in the MC ad.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I just read your blog. You were right on the bull's eye. Aunt Jo came off ship slopping drunk and I with my dreads, etc.

Oh, my Lord child, you typed Aunt Jo's age. She will die if she ever sees this blog! You know how she is about her age. This is so funny, hilarious and oh my Lord, I hope we don't have to attend her funeral after she reads the blog!!!!!!!!

Excellent!!!!!!
Ma

That girl from Shallotte said...

Good point. Ages deleted.