Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hi! My name is (Rx N @ x mg)

Every 30 days, I stop by my neighborhood pharmacy to pick up the month's scrips, one of which is a very low dose of a drug used to treat generalized anxiety disorder.

Without fail, as I step up to the counter, the pharmacy technician softens her face into one of familial concern, lowers the decibel level of her speaking voice, and gently greets me with, "Hello, Ms. Frink. How ARE you today? You doing okay?"

She's not being insincere or patronizing at all. She only knows me for the prescriptions I take, so for all she knows, I could be a housebound, nervous wreck constantly on the brink of a breakdown and trip across town for a few days. And, truth be told, I kinda like being treated so delicately for a few minutes, as I usually stop by the drugstore on my way home from work.

I do wonder, though, if she greets other regular customers based on what drugs they're taking for manageable, nonlife-threatening conditions...

------------------------

Hello, (Flomax): You're in strong form today.

Hello, (blood sugar tester): How's life? Sweet!

Hello, (estrogen replacement patch): You cool?

Hello, (Cialis): How's your wife? Give her my best.

4 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

When I used to venture to the drug store for my double shot cocktail of antidepressant and anti-anxiety meds, I always wondered if the nice old man thought I was a lost cause. This is so much better!

(I want to come live at your blog. Hope you don't mind!)

Anonymous said...

OK, there's a list of the "Mental Hospital Phone Menu" that's making the online rounds that I have to send you. I think you will enjoy it. Hugs, Barbara

JohnnyB said...

My family is the primary means of support for the pharmacy at which we worship. I've never had the type of experience you describe, but once, when buying meds which were not covered and so were at full price, some kid bagging my purchases LOUDLY exclaimed, "Oh my God, what drugs cost this much!"

That girl from Shallotte said...

Diff Girl- Come on in. It's cozy and we take pride in our customer satisfaction. The food leaves a lot to be desired, though, so you might want to bring a bag lunch.

Barbara- I'm way too delicate to get through that phone menu. Hugs back always!

Johnny- The dear girl I mentioned once rang my order then told me (and the people waiting behind me) that the total couldn't possibly be right since I had insurance. It was right and I was mortified.