Monday, April 28, 2008

When a mommy and a daddy love each other...


I was talking to Daddy yesterday while Mama was out. He told me he'd read the story about Steve, Joshua and traveling and that he'd enjoyed it. He suggested I use it for my first N&O column.

I told him the first column, coming out June 24, will be "My Father's Sons." "You know," I told him, "the one about how you treated us like boys when we were kids."

He chuckled and said, "I didn't realize I did that."

"Looking back," I reassured him, "I wouldn't change a thing."

Shooting guns and diving for clams made me brave. Being told my epidermis was showing made me sarcastic.

My mother instilled in me manners, a sense of empathy and the importance of hair care. She made me feel pretty and special when I was really just a bratty princess making her life difficult. She also told me that I could be anything I wanted, that I was smart and the world was out there for me.

So here I am, a product of two attractive people who met by accident in Wilmington in 1965, when my daddy's best friend was courting my mother. Thank the lord that my mother and that guy broke up and that she happened to spot my daddy coming out of a Beatles movie and dropped her proper Southern manners long enough to roll down her window and yell, "Call me!"

Shameless, I tell you. Shameless. And awesome.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Didn't know you had that picture!!! Yes, Pops came out of the Beatles movie and he and his friend got into his friends 1964 yellow Chevolet convertible. Wow, they were sooooo cool!!!

Felicia said...

You remind me of a sassy girl I once knew and loved. She was a pink tuskadero with a satin jacket and a whole lot of attitude. Later she wore a rabbit coat and then a leather jacket. I am glad to see she never lost the attitude.

Cara said...

*SIGH* Your stories always make me feel like I am right there. Love this, love your bravery, love your sarcasm.

Anonymous said...

:):):):):)